EducationCumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. - 2009
- Honors: , Research Fellowship, Center for Biotechnology, Law, and Ethics
- Law Review: American Journal of Trial Advocacy, Senior Associate Editor, 2007-2009
- Masters of Bioethics summa cum laude - 2006
- B.A., Philosophy, with honors; Sociology
- Georgia, 2009
- Alabama, 2011
David T. Rohwedder
David T. Rohwedder is an associate at Butler Wooten & Peak LLP and works in a variety of practice areas. Prior to joining the firm, David gained extensive litigation experience working both as a defense and plaintiff’s lawyer. He began his legal career with a Columbus, Georgia-based defense firm and primarily represented corporations in a wide range of practice areas including personal injury, car and trucking wrecks, construction liability, and medical malpractice. After several years, David chose to change direction in his legal career and joined a plaintiff’s firm located in Columbus, Georgia. There, he continued to develop his skills as a litigator and represented individual clients in his practice which focused on business and consumer litigation, personal injury, car and trucking wrecks, insurance liability, bad faith, and fraud. David is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, the leading national legal rating agency.
Born in Cedar Falls, Iowa, David’s family moved to Birmingham, Alabama where he graduated from Hoover High School. David attended the University of Alabama at Birmingham and graduated with degrees in Philosophy, with honors, and Sociology. As an undergraduate, he was actively involved in UAB’s Greek system and served as IFC President during his senior year. David then attended graduate school at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, graduating summa cum laude with a Masters of Bioethics. At Penn, David served as a research fellow and project member on the Ethics of Vaccines Project launched by Penn’s Center for Bioethics. In 2006, David returned to Birmingham, Alabama to attend Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law. While in law school, he was a member of one of Cumberland’s law reviews, the American Journal of Trial Advocacy, and was elected by his peers as a Senior Associate Editor. As a student, David was twice selected for publication in the American Journal of Trial Advocacy. During his second year, David was awarded a research fellowship from Cumberland’s Center for Biotechnology, Law and Ethics, where his research centered on alternative reproductive technology, child trafficking and adoption, and domestic and foreign energy policy. During his third year, David was a panelist at a symposium sponsored by the Center for Biotechnology, Law, and Ethics that focused on national and global transportation energy policy.
David and his wife Chandler, also a lawyer, are active members in the community. David serves his community by serving as the secretary of the Columbus State University Athletic Fund Board and a board member of the Port Columbus Naval Museum. David also enjoys teaching a course titled Ethics and Legal Issues in the Profession: Bioethics at Columbus State University. Outside of work, David enjoys studying music, playing the guitar, golf, and hunting.
- Wanted: Clarification Regarding Georgia's Hospital Lien Statute, 17 THE CALENDAR CALL 21, State Bar of Georgia (Spring 2012)
- Recent Development, Doreika v. Blotner: Georgia Court of Appeals Decision Requires Chiropractors to Obtain Informed Consent Prior to Rendering Treatment, 32 AM. J. TRIAL ADVOC. 443 (2009)
- Recent Development, Ferguson v. McKiernan: Can a Sperm Donor Be Held Liable for Child Support After the Recipient Has Contractually Waived that Right? 32 AM. J. TRIAL ADVOC. 229 (2008)
- Trial Practice & Procedure, (Co-Author), 67 Mercer L. Rev. 257, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- State Bar of Alabama, Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Member
- Columbus Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Inns of Court: Columbus, Georgia Chapter, Member