EducationMercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- J.D. magna cum laude - 2013
- Honors: Brainerd Currie Honor Society
- Honors: Phi Kappa Phi
- Honors: Nadler Award Winner
- Law Review: Mercer Law Review, Editor in Chief, 2011 - 2013
- B.A. cum laude - 2010
- Major: German; Communication & Theater Arts
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Auto Defects
- Trucking Accidents
- Products Liability
- Georgia, 2013
Joseph Marshall Colwell
JOSEPH M. COLWELL is an associate at Butler Wooten & Peak LLP. Joseph handles a variety of cases, including qui tam cases under the Federal False Claims Act; product liability cases; and others resulting in personal injury, wrongful death, or financial harm.
Joseph was born and raised in Rome, Georgia. He attended Mercer University in Macon, Georgia, graduating cum laude with degrees in German and Communication & Theater Arts, and the Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University, graduating magna cum laude and third in his class. While in law school, Joseph served as the Editor in Chief of the Mercer Law Review and was actively involved in Mercer's moot court program. During his first year, he was a finalist in the Hugh Lawson III Memorial First Year Moot Court Competition, and he represented Mercer as a member of both the Georgia Intrastate Team and the National Moot Court Team. As a third year student, Joseph was inducted into the Brainerd Currie Honor Society, received numerous other academic awards and scholarships, and participated in the Advanced Legal Writing, Research, and Drafting Program.
Joseph is active in the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Columbus Trial Lawyers Association, and Columbus American Inn of Court. He is also a member of the American Association for Justice, American Bar Association, Georgia Bar Association, and Columbus Bar Association.
- Reasonable Restrictions on the Franchise: Georgia's Voter Identification Act of 2006, 63 Mercer L. Rev. 1129, Spring, 2012
- Trial Practice and Procedure, Annual Survey of Georgia Law, 66 Mercer L. Rev. 211, Fall, 2014
- Trial Practice & Procedure, (Co-Author), 67 Mercer L. Rev. 257, 2015
- Phi Kappa Phi